Improve your French skills with a private instructor when it's convenient for you!
PLEASE NOTE THAT AS OF DECEMBER 6, 2018, WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS FOR PRIVATE LESSONS. CHECK BACK MID-JANUARY. Private lessons are a great way to get customized private one-on-one and semi-private instruction at your own pace. With private lessons, you get to pick what you cover with your instructor. You can study with a book, or focus on conversation skills or work with video and audio material. In the past, students have registered for private lessons before moving to a French-speaking country for work or school, pursuing culinary studies in Paris and working as doctors throughout Africa. Let us help prepare you for your next adventure in French!
The majority of our teachers are native speakers and come from different parts of the world. You may learn a little more about them by reading their biographies. Our instructors have various schedules. The more options you give us in terms of availability, the more efficient we will be in finding an instructor for you.
Private lessons can be scheduled:
- In person at the French Cultural Center
- Off site at your home, office or another location (depending on instructor’s availability)
PricingAt the FCC:
$60 per hour or $540 if you buy a 10-lesson pass.
$90 per 1.5 hours or $810 if you buy a 10-lesson pass.
Premier & Mosaïque Member Costs:
$60 per hour or $510 if you buy a 10-lesson pass.
$90 per 1.5 hours or $765 if you buy a 10-lesson pass.
For semi-private lessons, costs are $32.50 per student per hour or $295 per student if you buy a 10-lesson pass. Semi-private lessons can accommodate 2 to 3 persons maximum.
Hourly rates are the same as listed above + $0.54/mile + $10 fee per lesson. The mileage calculates the round-trip distance between your address and the French Cultural Center.
$55 per hour or $495 if you buy a 10-lesson pass.
- Tuition and fees must be paid before lessons can begin. Private lessons are non-refundable.
- For on-site, all students must check in at Reception prior to each private or semi-private lesson as well as sign the attendance sheet during their lesson.
- Lessons bought on a pass must all be of the same duration.
- Rescheduling a lesson: students must give a 24 hours’ notice to the teacher and/or the Education Dept. Late cancellations will result in 1h deducted from your credit.
For all of our classes, group or private, a placement test is required. This test helps us to have a better idea of your level and give our teachers the information necessary to prepare for your first class together. Therefore, if you have not done so, please complete our written evaluation. It should take between 15 to 20 minutes. Your instructor will complete the oral evaluation during your first private lesson.